Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pimento Cheese

     Have you ever had one of these?  Growing up in the South you heard about pimento cheese sandwiches all the time.  As a kid, I never really liked it.  I tried it a handful of times and it just wasn't for me.  It wasn't until I went to the Masters Tournament last year when I had one for the first time in a very long time.  It's amazing how one's palette changes as you get older because it was delicious.  It's very easy to make but if you're on a diet, you better stay away.
     The typical application is a sandwich.  It's used in many different ways but the sandwich is the most common.  The most common ingredients are Pickled Cherry Peppers, Mayonnaise, Cheddar Cheese, Salt, and Pepper.  The texture to which you blend this is completely up to the person making it, but it's usually left somewhat chunky. 
     Some of the other ingredients that are frequently used are Cream Cheese, Velveeta Cheese, Jalapenos, Worcestershire, Cayenne, Hot Sauce, Paprika, Onions, Garlic, and Pickles.  I do enjoy the original ingredients, even though mayonnaise has a bad rap, I just don't mind it.  I wouldn't mind trying this sandwich with any of the other ingredients added to the mix, just keeps it that more interesting in my opinion.
     When I ask people about the pimento cheese sandwich that live here in Colorado, some don't know what I'm talking about, while some remember it from their childhood living in the South.  I know that most health conscious people do not care for anything with mayonnaise but try it at least once.  If you go to the right place, you could really get an amazing sandwich.  There are restaurants that currently do their own version of the Pimento Cheese Sandwich with some added ingredients that really spice up this classic southern recipe while giving it a high-end appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment