Thursday, March 22, 2012

Making Limoncello

     I've decided to make another batch of Limoncello and I can't wait.  I will attach some pictures of the process to give a glimpse of how I make this.  It's an exercise in patience when making this beverage.  It takes approximately three months before it's ready to drink.  It's definitely worth the wait but you really have to like drinking something really strong.  I use straight grain alcohol which is 190 proof.  That may have already turned a few of you off to the idea. 
     If made correctly, it has a beautifully velvet texture with a sweet lemon flavor without having the tart fresh lemon kick.  You may think that Limoncello will have an unpleasant effect given the high alcohol content but it balances out in a way that even surprises me every time I drink this. 
     You never plan on sitting down and drinking an entire bottle or even a full rocks glass worth.  Limoncello is typically served chilled in small cordial glasses.  Believe me, that's all that you will want to have at one time. 
     I usually start this process every year at the end of March.  That way, it will be ready to enjoy by the end of June.  A nice summer beverage that will help you hydrate and take the edge off at the same time.  That's my opinion anyway. 
     Keep checking back since I will have a new entry and pictures of my process of making Limoncello.

No comments:

Post a Comment