Friday, November 11, 2011

Pork & Black Bean Chili, for the meat lovers

     I've made this chili for a little while and I've always tweaked the ingredients until I was able to reach the flavor profile that I wanted.  Today, I finally got to that point.  It takes about two hours from start to finish but most of that time is for simmering.  Very crucial if you want your chili to taste awesome. 
     It starts with a nice Andouille Sausage and Ground Beef.  I like to use the 80/20 ratio of beef to get that extra fat...delicious.  I start the pot on medium low heat and add a small amount of canola oil, about the size of a quarter.  I then add the beef and let it cook and firm up so that it stays in the ball form.  After the beef is almost finished, I then add the sausage and let that render.
      After the meat is almost fully cooked, I turn the heat up to medium-high to get a little color.  I like to deglaze the pan with a small amount of red wine to get those tasty bits off the bottom of the pan.  Now I add what you see below.  Onions, Garlic, Brown Sugar, Bell Peppers, Fresh Jalapenos, Diced Tomatoes with their juices, fully cooked Black Beans, Paprika, Ancho Chile Powder, Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano, Cumin, Cinnamon, and Cayenne Pepper. 
     Add some Beef Stock and bring the chili to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium low or until you reach a very slow simmer.  You want a few bubbles coming up but not too much.  When you see all of that steam coming out of the pan, that's flavor, we definitely want to get as much of that as possible.
      This is the end result after an hour of simmering.  DO NOT EAT RIGHT AWAY!!!!  Let it sit overnight, you'll be surprised how much the flavor develops.  Top with a little Sour Cream, Shredded Cheese of your choice and Cilantro.  Enjoy!!!





3 comments:

  1. Not sure where to ask a question unrelated to a post of yours, but related to chef expertise; so I'm asking it here. Cole and I registering for pots and pans. All-clad seems a little too fancy for the cooking we do. What level/kind of pots and pans do you suggest that are sturdy, effective and mid-range? Thanks Josh! Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Calphalon Stainless Steel collection is a respectable set of pans and can last for a long time. They have an aluminum core that helps distribute the heat evenly across the bottom of the pan to get a better end result when cooking. You can find a 13 piece for $400 - $500. Just dont use an abrasive cleaner on them, especially the inside. All-clads are expensive pots and pans but regardless of the style of cooking, they're amazing. All-clads were used in a couple of my past kitchens and they work beautifully. If taken care of, they can last a very long time. I can't wait to get a set of All-clads. Downside, a 10 piece can cost approximately $1200

    ReplyDelete